Wednesday, October 26, 2005

New Tricks...

Just when I think I'm "getting" school, I have the week I've had. 95% of the time, I love sitting in class talking and listening about exciting new topics. I know that I will go back to teaching energized with all of this fresh, new knowledge. Every now and then, however, I have a week like this, where I am pushed beyond what I thought I was capable of doing. I know that it is a good thing, which is why I am here, but the process is painful.

I had to lead a three hour discussion in one seminar this week and the articles I had to read, digest, and teach back to my classmates were a bit dense for me. It took me several readings of just three articles to get the gist of them. 57 power point slides later (no, I did not make my classmates sit through all of them!), I was able to finally make my way through the topic and lead a coherent and even lively discussion. It made me appreciate the mentoring model of teaching in a PhD program. My professor knew my frustration, but encouraged me on anyway. I am much better for going through it all. More new tricks to add to my bag...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home