Monday, January 08, 2007

How do schools find older students?

As I enter my final semester (I hope), I'm wondering how graduate schools find a way to talk to older students? It is pretty easy to advertise to college seniors who are considering grad school, but how do schools find those elusive older students who have decided to return to school for more education?

When I started this program, I felt old and alone. Once I got to UNC, I realized why all of my friends thought I was crazy for going back to school--it is not common for older folks to quit what they are doing and start all over. But, in just a few short years, I've seen more and more older students or older prospective students who want to go back, but are not sure where to find that "perfect program." When you are older, you don't want to waste your time and money on a degree that is neither useful nor interesting--you are much more focused on finding the perfect program that helps advance your career.

I just did a quick google search of grad school programs and found places like gradschool.com and petersons. I'll have to explore them more to know how useful they are.

2 Comments:

Blogger Matt Ulmer said...

Karen, my name is Matt Ulmer and I work for a website called UCEAdirectory.org. The site is a directory of college programs for adults, and we have a section called Inspire that includes stories and blogs from adults who have successfully earned degrees.

Would you be interested in either writing a 500 word article for us about returning to school or, for $500, write your blog on our site, chronicling your experiences via pictures as well as text?

7:55 AM  
Blogger Matt Ulmer said...

Karen, it's Matt Ulmer again. I forget to tell you that you could reach me at mulmer@edudirectories.com.

Have a great day.

8:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home