Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Is an MBA losing its luster?

An article in Ad Age describes a study that finds that consumer products companies with MBAs underperform vs. companies without MBAs.

I wonder if this study is getting talked about in B-Schools today. I fell in love with marketing in business school, but once I started working, consulting, teaching and even sitting on non-profit boards, I realized that there was something missing in my education, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it. Don't get me wrong, I had amazing marketing professors at Michigan, but I wanted to know even more. I met with a former student yesterday whom I had for a marketing elective at Wake Forest University, and she also mentioned that she felt that she was missing something in her basic marketing education.

When I looked at PhD programs, I knew that I needed to get a different perspective, which is what prompted me to look at UNC. I used Bob Lauterborn's integrated marketing communications approach in my own teaching--the 4Cs instead of the 4Ps, and knew I had to learn more about this aspect of marketing communications.

New media and younger consumers' use of media is transforming the way they respond to marketing communications. These changes should impact the way we create and use marketing communications. Let's see if it does.

1 Comments:

Blogger Karen Mishra said...

Thanks for your comments--yes, I did notice that you moved here from my favorite town! I hope was hoping that our paths would cross at some point.

5:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home